Chief Executive Officer Search
Few positions (if any) have a more profound impact on an organization than its CEO. Regardless of your organization’s size, a Chief Executive has a tremendous amount of influence on culture, strategy, and overall operations. In smaller organizations, the impacts are usually even more meaningful. Thus, there is much to consider when conducting a Chief Executive Officer search.
Beginning Your CEO Search
It’s clearly important to put serious thought and discussion into how an organization approaches such a watershed process. In only the most unique circumstances should an organization forego a diligent, exhaustive CEO search to insure as many key parameters are met as closely as possible than when hiring a new Chief Executive Officer.
While we naturally recommend such a thorough approach, we also strongly advocate that organizations insure that they have reviewed and considered any key potential “successors” already in the organization. If there is someone whose contribution, style, and ambition all point to a possible fit, there’s nothing more demoralizing to that individual (and potentially others on the senior team) than to ignore them as a qualified candidate. There are cases where a leader may lack just a bit of “grooming” to be ready for that crucial next step, but by going through a disciplined process to find a new leader, you will demonstrate a level of respect for the process – and will likely find someone who can mentor that individual, and achieve a level of “buy-in” that can be valuable beyond measure.
Some of the key elements to consider once you’ve decided to move forward surround the cultural and strategic factors facing your organization.
- Are you looking to create a new way of thinking and philosophy?
- Did your previous leader leave those cultural elements in such good shape that you merely need a leader to continue to foster a healthy environment – or do you need a “sea-change” with a new attitude and new passion?
- Strategically, are you entering new markets, new geographies, or introducing new products, solutions, or services?
- Financially, does the organization need to raise significant capital or issue new debt to grow?
- Are there key Merger & Acquisition elements in-play that will need someone savvy in that arena?
- In terms of dealing with the existing team (and Board of Directors), what will this new CEO encounter?
- Will this new leader come on board with a fantastic support cast, or will he/she need to do some evaluations and possible upgrades?
- What’s the nature of the Board, and what are the key elements that they are looking for in a new leader?
- What are their strengths, and in what areas might a new CEO seek to improve the efficacy of the Board.
Your answers to these questions might impact whether you promote internally or hire a CEO recruiter.
NOT ALL CEO EXECUTIVE SEARCH FIRMS ARE EQUAL
At McAleer Gray, we’re steeped in leading a CEO job placement consultation with our clients that ensures a diligent, thoughtful, and strategic plan to address these issues and many others. We take the time to spend the days (and weeks/months, if necessary!) with our CEO search clients, including all the key stakeholders to develop a well-rounded view of the ideal profile, and the target rich environments where the best leaders might be working today.
It’s extremely rare to find this top talent “looking” for a new job. This is where our connections, research, access, and ability to compel top candidates and sources of candidates for your chief executive search outpaces our competition. We never pass a project of this magnitude to junior partners or “senior associates” so commonly used by the big firms. In fact, we have purposely built our firm in such a way that we don’t even employ team members at those levels. You can be certain that the senior search partner who heads-up your consultation will also lead all key elements of targeting, outreach, screening, and “selling” your opportunity – which translates into a much greater likelihood of success.
Let’s Find Your Next CEO
If you and your organization are facing this crucial moment, call us. We are a CEO search firm that has your best interest in mind. Let’s spend some time reviewing your needs and get to know one another. We’re sure you’ll find what all our other clients have found – when it comes to helping you navigate these critical waters, we know how to help you steer toward a tremendous destination – a CEO as close to perfect as possible!