CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER SEARCH
CFO’s are strategic business partners working with the CEO, senior leadership and the Board of Directors, and are responsible for both the external growth strategy and the leadership of the internal financial reporting operations and external reporting requirements. The size, stage of development, and strategic growth objectives of our clients dictate the appropriate experience of any CFO, for both public and PE-owned or private companies. There is much to consider when conducting a Chief Financial Officer search.
BEGINNING YOUR CFO SEARCH
It’s clearly important that an organization accurately assess where they are and where they are going as they approach the search process. A high growth, merger and acquisition oriented, and externally-focused company will require a very different CFO than one requiring only to focus internally and to keep “the trains running on time.” Similar to a CEO search, a diligent and exhaustive process ensures the delivery of the key parameters are met when hiring a new Chief Financial Officer.
Some of the key elements to consider once you’ve decided to move forward; do you require a CFO to…
- focus externally or internally?
- help you grow, anticipate mergers or acquisitions to support this growth?
- be capable of strategic interactions with customers or developing a pipeline of new acquisition targets?
- Interact with external stakeholders for purposes of additional investment or debt or an eventual exit?
- work to generate superior shareholder returns or to improve liquidity through investor relations activities?
- lead financial integration activities such as reorganizing ERP and financial systems to reflect multi-locations and business lines?
- recruit a team of exceptional finance and accounting professionals, as well as mentoring and developing such talent that they represent a viable succession strategy?
- be a leader who communicates technical ideas and concepts in understandable and action-oriented terms?
Your answers to these questions might impact whether you promote internally or hire a CFO recruiter.
Not All CFO Executive Search Firms Are Created Equal
At McAleer Gray, we’re leaders in placing CFO’s and other financial officers for our clients. Having experience as CPAs and in financial officer roles ourselves, we have executed financial officer searches for over 24 years and our client experience extends from early stage private companies to large publicly-held corporations.
We’ve made a career out of knowing and attracting top-tier CFO’s and other financial executives across the country. Our professional pedigree and experience provides us with access to top-tier financial executives who are generally not interested in pursuing recruitment opportunities; they’re successful and consumed with their current role. We’ve been fortunate to partner with many unique and appealing clients who have captivated these difficult-to-attract CFO candidates at the right time in their careers.
Our firm’s tagline of “Search in the first Person” means our partners do the work. We don’t leverage our client projects to junior partners or senior associates. Top-tier and difficult-to-attract CFO candidates require a peer-level conversation if they are to consider such a confidential opportunity. This is why our clients engage us.
Let’s Find Your Next CFO
If your organization is considering a new CFO, whether a confidential replacement or an unexpected opening, please contact us.